May 1, 2017

The Mighty Colorado

...was not so mighty today but a few friends and I had a great day on the water.

The spot (also known as secret beach) is essentially a ways downstream from the Pleasant Valley dam. Not too far below "secret beach" you'll run into the 183 bridge. Today we fished the stretch from 183 to the beach. It rained last night (29th) and we were worried about water clarity etc. but it turned into a beautiful day in water as clear as I've ever seen it.

This post is a bit different from my others in that this is big water. You fish big flies for big bass. We came across a few gar which were fun to see. Gar can be caught on the fly and lord knows we tried but today we were unsurprisingly unsuccessful.

We did tie into a few bass. No big fish and honestly I was hoping to catch a few more but it was a nice change a pace from the small water I usually fish. A front came through last night and we caught the tail end of which is historically not a great time to be on the water. One of the guys I was fishing with today was kayaking the same stretch the day before. He told me every fisherman he passed had a fish on.

It was also interesting to scope out the Pleasant Valley Dam. I'm not above putting the flyrod up for a day or two, buying some stink bait and hoping for some gargantuan catfish while enjoying iced beverages. It's a pure form of fishing.

Anyway the water was great today. If you go walk downstream from secret beach to the 183 bridge and fish upstream. Skip the beach portion. Lots of dog traffic. Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment