April 12, 2017

Back in ATX!

Restarting this blog now that I am back in Austin. My last post was in 2012 right before the convergence of some family drama and a rough spell at work. In 2015 I moved to DC to work and have just returned to Austin to pursue a graduate degree. All that is wildly irrelevant but there it is.

Fishing-wise I am without a kayak and finances aren't such that would allow for such a luxury. I do have a boat down at the farm but as far as the Austin area is concerned this blog will now have the following specific focus: urban fly fishing opportunities in and around Austin.

The Colorado divides the town but it also sets the stage for the myriad of creeks, runoffs, drainages etc. that all hold fish. At the very least I hope this will help the intrepid urban angler uncover some of the spots in Austin.

Unless in the colorado or fishing a private tank most of the fish I am catching are under 12 inches. Small fish means I am almost exclusively fly fishing for two reasons: first, smaller fish are easier to catch on a fly, second, it doesn't take a large fish to put a 3wt noodle flyrod to work. I caught a bluegill the size of a cereal bowl the other day and the damn thing nearly broke me off twice.

So in sum. Austin fly fishing. Small fish. New spots. Good stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment