April 18, 2017

Waller Creek

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend! Good. Great. Wonderful. Ok to business.

Waller is a puzzle to say the least. More than any other waterway I've had the pleasure to explore Waller suffers the most from drastic water level fluctuations. But there are a few reliable holes if you know where to look.

One spot that is literally overlooked is the pool right outside of Ironworks BBQ on Red River and Cesar Chavez. Don't be afraid to wave a flyrod in front of bystanders. There are plenty of fish and a not just bluegill/sunfish. Some good sized bass roam this pool and lurk under the overhanging concrete ledge on each side. Do be careful not to hook a passing patron.

Fish bigger flies. Big buggers, bigger poppers, even some streamers. If you stick to big flies you have a better chance of hooking some bass but you won't deter the larger bluegill either. Remember this is several feet from where Waller empties into Town Lake. Also remember that when it floods fish will follow the water inland so it is likely this spot receives regular population supplements.
---
Moving upstream a bit is what I call the University stretch. For our purposes this is the stretch between MLK and Dean Keaton (although the park just north of Dean Keaton has some tempting pools as well that I have yet to fish). There are some great pools in this stretch of water not to mention it's always fun fishing through academia. If you want to fish this spot I would keep it to early morning and late evening. More than any other spot I fish across Austin it is in this stretch that I get people asking what I am doing and if I go to school there (sidenote I do and that helps a lot). A couple of times the parking attendants have asked me what I was doing etc. etc. but over the course of this blog you will discover I prefer to ask forgiveness rather than permission. Plead the 5th. Ignorance is bliss. Especially if ignorance keeps you fishing.
----
The next spot is Hancock Golf course. Go in the evening so as not to bother the golfers. I find after 5:30PM or so the golf course becomes more of a dog park. Pretty Austin. Park on 41st but fish the holes closest to 38th. There are a few dams and bushes that present some classic riffle situations that are great for throwing small poppers and dry flies. I had a small dave's hopper pattern on the other day and I could not keep them off the hook. If you are a beginner to fly-fishing then I'd really consider trying this spot. You are on a golf course so back cast is clear and unencumbered by trees, bushes etc. Moreover, it is very difficult not to catch fish here. Get a small hook. Tie a piece of thread around it and you're in business. Remember though, small hooks as these are very small fish. Have not seen bass in this spot.
----
Further north spots are pretty iffy. The "creek" becomes more of a "drainage ditch" and I love fishing as much as the next guy but somehow fishing in a ditch loses its romance. To be fair though I haven't explored much past Hancock. Too much water. Too little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment