April 14, 2017

Bull Creek Park

Mt. Bonnell road to 2222. Take a right on Lakeshore right across from County Line BBQ. Down the road a bit there is a nice little pull off for parking.

Everything below (downstream of) the bridge is private water but upstream is a nice stretch of hill country creek, complete with a bedrock shelf that makes for easy wading.

Walk upstream a bit. There are some great deep holes right at the entrance but they get a lot of swimming pressure this time of year and I imagine those fish get hit hard. Take the trail to the right upstream but bee careful. If you go too far you will go up in elevation from the creek and access becomes a problem. To eliminate all problems take some wading shoes.

Fish upstream to the dam. Below that damn I hammered some sunfish and even pulled out a couple bass. Above the damn there are some real fish. I caught plenty of perch but I needed a larger fly or popper to tempt some of the bass I saw swimming around. Further upstream of the damn the creek opens up into some huge boulders similar to the ones you see at the entrance to the park. I didn't get a chance to fish this area but I wont lie - I was yearning for a spinning rod and a crankbait. In sum there are some fish to be caught here. I will return.

There are more areas to be explored in this region. Standby for further exploration of Bull and Boggy Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment